Velvety avocado is the star of this filling lunchtime soup sensation. Slurp up this Spinach and Avocado soup and you’ll quickly discover that avocado’s reliable texture, flavor, and high-fat content complements a wide-array of veggie-based meals.
Spinach and Avocado Soup
- 2 avocados, ripe and de-seeded
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups spinach, rinsed and chopped
- 8 cups vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 2 dashes sea salt (optional)
- Avocado: one of the very few fruits that are high in fat and low in sugar.
- Onion: the National Onion Association says onions are a great source of vitamin C, folic acid, dietary fiber, calcium, iron, and protein.
- Garlic: the father of Western medicine, Hippocrates, recommended garlic for fatigue, respiratory problems, and parasites as far back as 460 BC!
- Spinach: gets its green color from chlorophyll, which is linked to cancer prevention.
- Vegetable broth: avoid high sodium with the low-sodium variety and you’ve got yourself a healthy and tasty soup stock.
- Sea salt: is a natural source of essential minerals, including zinc, iron, and potassium.
- In a small skillet, sauté chopped onion and minced garlic cloves over medium-high heat until onions are tender, then let cool.
- High-power blend until pureed the cooled onion and garlic mixture with fresh spinach leaves, ripe avocado, and 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth.
- Transfer the mixture to a pot with an added 2 cups of vegetable broth.
- Simmer contents 20 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally until soup thickens.
- Optional: Add sea salt according to taste.